Special Issue on the Future of Human-Food Interaction for the International Journal of Gastronomy and Food Science
This special issue derives from our CHI2021 workshop entitled The Future of Human-Food Interaction (https://www.humanfoodinteraction.org/) and aims to create an interdisciplinary space for research on The Future of Human-Food Interaction.
With advancements in technology, there has been an increase in the use of digital technology in food-related practices ranging from how we grow, cook, present, eat, and dispose of food. These are studied in human-computer interaction (HCI) under the term of human-food interaction (HFI), defined as “the interconnection between the self and food”. Researchers have begun experimenting with emerging technologies such as computational gastronomy, food printing, virtual reality, capacitance sensing, robotics, and shape-changing in HFI. In addition, researchers in gastrophysics have explored new ways of how restaurants can innovate in food design. These developments are supplemented by smart kitchens and appliances that enable enhanced food preparation and experience design processes. Moreover, food photographing and sharing, as well as practices of personalized nutrition and DIY food sciences are also gaining traction.
Here, we invite submissions on theories, technologies, and applications related to HFI. Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:
• Articulations of theoretical aspects of HFI within existing HCI theories
• Links to non-HCI domains (e.g., sensory science, psychology)
• Reflections on the potential of, and risks derived from, integrating technology into our food lives and the food system
• Methods for co-designing food futures that are socially just, culturally and emotionally stimulating, and sustainable
• Sensing food, detecting eating, and ingredient analysis
• Artificial intelligence and food
• Augmenting eating interactions and multisensory experiences
• Food visualization and edibalization
• Food games and play
• Designing for the hospitality industry
• Novel approaches to designing/working with food
Submission Timelines: Manuscripts can be submitted between 01 May, 2021 to 01 May, 2022
Submission Guidelines: Manuscripts can be submitted at
https://www.editorialmanager.com/ijgfs/default.aspx under the article type " Human Food Interaction".
Ferran Altarriba Bertan